>

Monday, January 27, 2014

{another} diy sunglasses and key holder

Over the last few years, I have made a few different sunglasses and key storage solutions for our home and for friend's homes.  The first one was in our drop-zone in the laundry room
It worked really well for over a year, but over time we realized that we didn't really use this basket very much, and during the winter, with our coats and scarves, there was little room for keys on the hook board.

So last week, inspired by this storage solution, I made a new board for keys and sunglasses, as well as a little bit of art. I started out by sorting through our scrap wood in the garage and grabbed some leftover (and already stained!) boards from our headboard project a few years ago. I cut them down to about 21" each and flipped them over to attach them to one another. 
I just took one of those free, thick paint sticks from Home Depot, cut it in half, glued it to each board, and then clamped it for a few hours, to be safe.
 Once the boards were solid and together, I touched up the stain (Minwax Jacobean, if you're curious) and placed my sunglasses holders...aka pipe straps. This pack of 10 was only about $2 at Home Depot.
 I knew I wanted to incorporate a frame on the board, so this 4x6 picture frame was a stand-in until we found the right one.
 I pre-drilled my holes for the screws, and got the pipe straps in place. 
 I mentioned last week that I sang at church, so while I was in the first service, I asked Matt to go to Target to pick out a picture frame for this project.  He has really great taste, so I was really excited when he brought home this frame:
target
This frame is actually way better than what I was picturing originally, further proving that we make a great design team, with so many different thoughts and ideas that come together for a better final product.  When I put it all together, and hung it up in the laundry room, I was in love.  

Notice the key hooks are simply nails? I like that they are functional, but aren't visually distracting from the rest of the board.
 I saw this quote online, so I traced it (by taping cardstock to my computer monitor lol), and then filled it in with pencil. Just a quick, 10 minute project, but I love the result.  

Plus, I love that we see an uplifting message as we're grabbing our coats and keys.  Seeing this message each day will stay with us, as we go out into our community.
 The frame is attached with command velcro strips. 

Note: Be sure to clear the glue from the paint stick where it can be seen through the slats, or you will end up with blobs of yellow, dried glue.  Luckily, this is behind the frame, so no one can see it.
 I just adore the way our laundry room and drop-zone are looking now.
 With this project completed, I'm crossing two more items off my list for this room:

Laundry Room To-Do List 2014
  • Install New Flooring - same as the half bath Completed Last Week here
  • Make New Sunglasses/Key Holder
  • Add small artwork?
  • Update Curtain/Shade

PS...here are the other key/sunglasses holders that I mentioned at the beginning of the post:

10 comments:

  1. This is so lovely! It's a such a simple but awesome idea! It looks great above the coat rack, and I love how you included a little mantra to see everyday. I have very little space in my entryway, but I think this is one idea that may actually work for me. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great idea! I have scored a small pallet that I was going to make some sort of "command" center for my husband and me and the sunglass idea could not be more perfect! He is constantly missplacing his. And I would never have thought to put the quote picture on it but that is something I will definitely be doing now too. Thanks for the wonderful ideas...now off to pin it :-)

    Stacy
    www.anygirlcandoit.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Stacy! My husband just needs specific places for things and he always uses this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Erin - just wanted you to know I am showing my version of this on my blog today! Linking back to you of course! Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Clever idea! I have a key holder I made and love, but need to do something for sunglasses. Usually I just toss mine over my keys on the same hook. Works except when they get bumped and fall. ;) Pinned for inspiration. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this! Now if I could get my husband to use it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Erin,
    Just wondering what the wood dimensions were? Did you use 1X4?

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
09 10