>

Thursday, September 27, 2012

picking paint colors

I have been super busy this week with work and all kinds of other commitments that have kept me from having much to say around here! So sorry!  I'm working on decorating the front porch and living room for fall, and just need to get out to buy some materials to do that.  I'm going to be building a bench for super cheap, and making a few inexpensive fall decorations, so stay tuned!

But, in the meantime, I am constantly wondering how to paint the rest of this house.  Just to recap, so far downstairs, the living room and entry are painted Behr's Silver Sateen.
The original plan was to take this grey paint through all the main spaces downstairs: paired with a chair rail and white paint in the dining room, through the hallway, and then into the kitchen.  We plan on doing a little gigantic DIY project on the kitchen cabinets and stain them a dark espresso.

Now, don't get me wrong, I love this grey paint and I think it looks fantastic, but I'm not sure that I want it everywhere, and I am not sure how it would look with espresso cabinets in the kitchen.  So my new thought is this:

Add moulding around the door frames/windows in the dining room, as well as adding a chair rail with possible picture frame moulding.  This would all be crisp white down to the floor. Above the chair rail would be a color similar to Glidden's Frosted Mulberry.

Then, I would paint a light beige in the hallway and kitchen to add another neutral color that isn't more grey.  Probably something similar to Glidden's Navajo Sand.

But, my main concern was if it would look strange to have grey and beige downstairs.  After thinking on it for a few weeks, I really think it would work since there would be a purple in between. I put these colors into Glidden's Color Visualizer on their website to get a general idea, of what these colors would look like near each other, and I think it actually looks good (see the beige in the back room on the right?).
Ok, so now I need your help! Can you visualize it?  What do you think of this?  Do you think it will look funny, or do you think it will flow naturally with the addition of moulding?

2 comments:

  1. What color did you end up using in the kitchen and hall? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
09 10