>

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

working away

Any guesses on the sneak peak the other day?
If you guessed this is my office, and I'm painting it Charcoal...then you were right! :)

My office is wonderful.  It is right off the kitchen, it is the perfect size (8' x 9') and it has a gigantic window (5' x 6') looking into the backyard.  But the problem is that I have off-white walls, white furniture, and a GIGANTIC window! It gets so bright in here, sometimes it makes my head hurt and I have to close the blinds.

Remember how in other posts (like the refurbished dresser, and the guest room nightstands), I had extra paint from another project that I used the left over paint on those projects?  Well, I technically had the paint left over, but I hadn't started the project the paint was purchased for yet! ha!  I used Behr Premium Plus Ultra - Eggshell in Cracked Pepper, and I can say that this paint is amazing!  
This paint is about $5-$10 more than I usually spend on a gallon, but it is definitely worth it! For once, I only had to do one coat, and (because I can't stand painting with a roller), I painted this entire room with a paintbrush.  It takes longer, but doesn't hurt my arm so much and I was determined to paint this room all on my own.  For a bold, deep color like this, I would definitely recommend this paint.

Remember what the office used to look like?

Of course, I didn't take a picture of the wall with the window before, but it was boring and off-white, with the terrible oak woodwork, just like the rest of the house.  I put together a list of tasks to make this office my own.

Office Checklist
  • Paint Walls
  • Paint Woodwork
  • Paint Accent Wall
  • Paint Hardware
  • Organize Files on Bookshelf
  • Add Curtains
  • Keep Cornice/Move Cornice?
  • Add Art/Accessories
  • Add something to front of desk
I finished up painting the walls (well, 3 of them), and the woodwork.
This paint color is interesting, because sometimes it looks grey, sometimes black, sometimes blue, and sometimes purple.

Typically, when you paint a room a dark color, it feels smaller.  But, between the crazy amount of light in here, and painting the woodwork a crisp white, the room doesn't feel any smaller, it just feels more cozy.  But, I really need to get something on these walls!

Check out this picture of half of the french doors completed (minus the hardware, that will be next). 
Here's where I'm at on the list:

Office Checklist
  • Paint Walls
  • Paint Woodwork
  • Paint Accent Wall
  • Paint Hardware
  • Organize Files on Bookshelf
  • Add Curtains
  • Keep Cornice/Move Cornice?
  • Add Art/Accessories
  • Add something to front of desk

Next up is painting the accent wall, and then the hardware.  Just trying to decide exactly what to do with this wall...

Office Checklist
  • Paint Walls
  • Paint Woodwork
  • Paint Accent Wall
  • Paint Hardware
  • Organize Files on Bookshelf
  • Add Curtains
  • Keep Cornice/Move Cornice?
  • Add Art/Accessories
  • Add something to front of desk


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
09 10